International Students

The University of Guelph has many resources and support services for international students.  

Advising help for international students: 

  • Pre-arrival support advisors support students from point of offer through to semester one with acceptance, study permit application, and registration in first semester.

  • International student advisors can help students with looking for work, making connections, health insurance, study permits, scheduled and unscheduled breaks, and post-graduate work permits.

  • Program Counsellors are the main point of contact for understanding and planning for your degree requirements, understanding U of G policies, your transfer credits and how they can be used. Contact your Program Counsellor regarding requests for academic consideration or deferred assessments.

  • Faculty Advisors are experts in their field. They provide information on their specialization as well as advising on career opportunities. They can also provide assistance to students with selecting courses based on student interest. Contact information can also be found under Contacts on our main webpage.

  • Co-op Coordinators are part of the co-op office and are specific to each degree or diploma program. A list of contacts is available on the Experiential Learning Hub website. Each co-op degree or diploma program or co-op major also has a Faculty Advisor (see above) who grades the co-op report. The Experiential Learning Hub website has additional information specific to international students in a co-op program

Student Financial Services has a tab on their home page dedicated to International Students. 

Student Wellness offers support specific to International and ELP students

  • Look for details on how to use UHIP and the CSA dental plan etc. 

  • Health services, bloodwork prescriptions, etc.

PLACES to meet people with similar interests on campus... 

  • The International Student Organization (ISO) has a lounge! It is located in the University Centre (UC 535) and is used by International students for both studying and relaxing. 
  • SFOAC Lounge is for OAC students and is located in the basement of Johnston Hall (open to ALL students in OAC). Email to request their e-newsletter. 
  • ESSE Lounge is for B.Sc.(Env.) students and is located in ALEX 262. Email to request their e-newsletter. 
  • LASS Landscape Architecture Student Society: Email for more information. 
  • BBRM Student Council: Email for more information. 
  • The Arboretum is a 400 acre forest on campus that is used for recreation and research by students, faculty and staff and is also open to the public.  
  • There are lots of clubs to join at U of G! Find active clubs or create one of your own.