Exchange Opportunities

*DTM Students, please contact your Program Counsellor to discuss international opportunities.

Quick Facts about Exchange Options

  • Students must have a 70% cumulative average in order to participate in an exchange.
  • Students will need to apply and be selected to participate before being able to choose courses. Application forms and deadline information is available through the Centre for International Programs (CIP).
  • Students will pay their full-time tuition to the University of Guelph, not the institution where they will be studying.
  • Students must pay their fees in full and select their courses before leaving on the exchange.
  • The grading system for classes taken on exchange is Pass, Outstanding Pass, or Fail.
  • If a student is interested in attending an institution where an exchange agreement does not exist, you will require a Letter of Permission.
  • Undergraduate Students must apply during their fourth semester to go on exchange in third year.

Considering an Exchange Program?

As University of Guelph students, you have a wide range of opportunities to experience other cultures first-hand as a part of your educational program. You can participate in one of many available student exchange programs or study through the Semester Abroad program, a formal University of Guelph semester conducted overseas. Shorter Field Trip courses (1-2 weeks) are also available for students looking for an international experience (these are not considered exchange programs).

If you are interested in going on exchange, contact your Program Counsellor towards the end of semester two or beginning of semester three to discuss exchange options, requirements, application processes and deadlines.

More information about exchange opportunities and deadlines is available through the Centre for International Programs. The CIP Office can help you find study abroad programs and offers information sessions that students must attend before going on exchange.

Going on Exchange

Once you have been approved for an exchange program, book an appointment with your Program Counsellor to discuss the academic aspects of your exchange experience, including course selection and course approval (and the required paperwork) as well as processes that must be followed before, during and after exchange.

You will be required to complete a course selection form before leaving on exchange. The form is a pre-departure agreement for course selection at your host institution.

Research your host institution to determine which of their courses are relevant to your University of Guelph program. You will need to identify the equivalent of 2.50 credits at the host institution well before the deadline for course selection. Students receive credit for being a full-time student at the University of Guelph only if they are considered to be full-time students at the host institution.

Before leaving on exchange, make sure that you have completed any prerequisite courses that will be required for the courses you will be taking in the semester following exchange.

While You Are There

As you complete your exchange experience, make sure that you collect and keep all course outlines and graded coursework to help with the course credit evaluation and transfer of credits towards your University of Guelph program requirements. Stay in touch with your Program Counsellor via email regarding course changes, relevancy and approvals.

While you are on exchange, you will be enrolled in a course called "FREE*2000".

If you are planning to pursue post graduate programs after completing your program, you will be required to provide official transcripts from your exchange host institution. It may be useful to obtain these transcripts while you are on exchange in order to prevent confusion and delays in the future.

While you are away, you will still be required to select and register for your University of Guelph courses for the semester after exchange.

Returning from Exchange

Arrange a meeting with your Program Counsellor once your transcript has been received by the CIP Office from your exchange institution to discuss course approvals and the transfer of credits. Course outlines and course work from your exchange studies will supply the content to help determine the University of Guelph credits you will receive. Grades for credits taken on exchange are evaluated as Pass (P), Outstanding Pass (OP) or Fail (F).

A post exchange form will be filled out and submitted to CIP. This will include your course equivalencies for your transcript as well as your grades. This form needs to be signed by the student, the Program Counsellor and the Study Abroad Manager.

Courses taken on exchange will appear on your transcript after your paperwork has been processed by CIP, your Program Counsellor, and the Registrar's Office. Courses will appear in the format: UNIV*9301. The "UNIV" will represent the subject area of the course (for example, FARE, AGR, HORT, etc.). The "9" notes that you did not take the course at Guelph. The "3" indicates the course level; in this case a 3000-level course (or third-year course). The "01" is for format; it makes the course code four digits and allows multiple courses with the same subject and level (for example, UNIV*9301 and UNIV*9302).