B.I.E.S.P. Minors

Changing Majors

Since the B.I.E.S.P. degree program does not have majors, changing majors requires applying to another degree program. Each program has its own requirements which are outlined on the Admissions U of G Internal Transfers and Readmission webpage. If you are thinking about changing your program, please talk to your Program Counsellor.


If you are interested in a secondary area of study, you have the option of declaring a minor. Minors are not mandatory for the B.I.E.S.P. degree. Degree completion may require more than 20.00 academic credits, as most minors require 5.00 credits.

Note that a maximum of 2.50 credits may be used for both a minor and your degree program requirements. For example, if you need BIOL*1070 for your minor, it will be double-counted with your degree program (i.e. it will count as a requirement for your degree program, as well as your minor).

To declare or change a minor, you must fill out a "Schedule of Studies Change Request" form with your Program Counsellor. Consult with your Program Counsellor for more information.

See this List of Minors for the current calendar year. You may need to discuss the calendar year for minors with your Program Counsellor.


Students can also consider certificates as an additional qualification. They require 2.50 - 3.00 credits (depending on the certificate). Certificates are not connected to degree programs, so they will not appear on your parchment when you graduate. You would receive a separate certificate of completion for the certificate. Note the double count limit rule for courses which are required for both your major and the certificate. 

Certificates are run through the Office of Open Learning and Educational Support. Information about certificates is available in the Undergraduate Calendar under Special Study Opportunities