B.Sc.(Env.) Majors

The B.Sc.(Env.) program offers the following majors:

  • Ecology
  • Environment and Resource Management
  • Environmental Economics and Policy
  • Environmental Sciences

The "calendar" referred to above is the Undergraduate Calendar. More information about the degree course requirements may be found in the "Degree Program" section of the respective calendars.

Choosing your Major

To help you decide which major works best for you, you can talk to Faculty Advisors and your Program Counsellor.

News and updates about choosing your major and meeting the Faculty Advisors will be posted on the B.Sc.(Env.) Program Counselling home page and emailed to the enviro listserv. It is your responsibility to talk to the appropriate Faculty Advisors to collect information on the majors in which you are interested. The Undergraduate Calendar provides the Schedule of Studies (required courses) for each major.

A handout is distributed to students attending the Choose Your Major Event for the B.Sc.(Env.) Program, which provides information on how to contact Faculty Advisors to help inform your decision, and complete the required form for declaring your major with your Program Counsellor.

Declaring or Changing Majors within the B.Sc.(Env.)

All B.Sc.(Env.) first year students are admitted as "undeclared".  You should declare your major by the end of winter semester in first year (Semester 2). Co-op students must declare a major to access co-op job postings. There are additional steps for co-op students that declare a B.Sc.(Env.) major and then change their mind and wish to change majors, so it's best to be sure before submitting the form!

You must submit an online Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form in order to declare or change your major. The form is under the "Forms for Undergraduate Students Only" section. Once submitted, the form goes to your Program Counsellor for approval and your major will be updated on WebAdvisor. Check My Progress on the Student Planning system through WebAdvisor to ensure it is correct. Processing of your form may take several business days. 

It is recommended that you consult with your Faculty Advisor for a better understanding of program and course information as well as when choosing restricted electives. The Undergraduate Calendar provides details regarding specific degree requirements.

Students who would like to transfer into a major that is not in the B.Sc.(Env.) program must apply to transfer through the Admissions Office in the Office of Registrarial Services. Transfer information can be found on the Admissions webpage. It is recommended you speak with the Program Counsellor of the program you wish to transfer into for academic advice.

Students who would like to transfer into the B.Sc.(Env.) program from another University of Guelph degree program must apply to transfer. Transfer information can be found on the Admissions webpage. Please contact the B.Sc.(Env.) Program Counsellor if you have questions, booking an appointment is highly recommended.

Other Changes Requiring Program Counsellor Approval

If you are interested in the curriculum offered in a more recent calendar year than your admission to the B.Sc.(Env.) program, please consult your Program Counsellor with reasons for the request. You can submit an Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form to change Calendar Years.


As of 2022-2023, B.Sc.(Env.) students have the option of declaring a minor. Minors are not mandatory for the B.Sc.(Env.) degree so the required credits are separate from the requirements and restricted electives for the B.Sc.(Env.) majors. Degree completion with a minor may require more than four years (five years for those in co-op).

Note that a maximum of 2.50 credits may be used for both minor and major requirements. For example, if you need GEOG*1300 for your minor, it will be double-counted with your major (i.e. it will count as a requirement for your major, as well as your minor).

To declare a minor, follow the same process as listed above, indicating ‘Minor' rather than ‘Major' under "Specialization Type" on the Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form. Consult with your Program Counsellor for more information about the double count rule for minors and certificates. Understanding the double count rule is of critical importance. Refer to this List of Minors and Certificates for the current calendar year.