B.Sc.(Agr.) Majors

The B.Sc.(Agr.) program offers the following majors:

  • Animal Science
  • Crop Science (new starting Fall 2021)
  • Horticulture (new starting Fall 2021)
  • Honours Agriculture
  • Crop, Horticulture and Turfgrass Science (can last be declared by students who entered the program in 2020)

More information about these majors and specific course requirements for each can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar.

All first year students are admitted as "undeclared" for their first year of the program. You must declare a major by the start of your third semester.

Choosing your Major

In second semester, you will have the opportunity to attend a "Meet your Major" night where you will meet the Faculty Advisors for the different B.Sc.(Agr.) majors. Use this time to find out more about each program directly from the advisors.

Information on the time and location of "Meet your Major" night will be posted on the Program Counselling home page and emailed to the listserv. If you cannot attend the "Meet your Major" event, it is your responsibility to talk to the appropriate faculty advisors to collect information on the majors you are interested in. The Undergraduate Calendar provides information on the required courses for each major.

Declaring or Changing Majors within the B.Sc.(Agr.)

You must submit an online Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form in order to declare or change your major. The form is under the "Forms for Undergraduate Students Only" section. Once submitted, the form goes to your Program Counsellor for approval and your major will be updated on WebAdvisor. Check My Progress on the Student Planning system through WebAdvisor to ensure it is correct. Processing of your form may take several business days. 

It is recommended that you consult with your Faculty Advisor for a better understanding of program and course information as well as when choosing restricted electives.

The Undergraduate Calendar provides details regarding specific degree requirements. If you are interested in the curriculum offered through a more recent calendar year, please consult your Program Counsellor. All changes must be approved.

Students who would like to transfer into a major that is not in the B.Sc.(Agr.) program must apply to transfer through the Admissions Office. Details can be found on the Admissions webpage. It is recommended you speak with the appropriate Program Counsellor for advice.

Students who would like to transfer into the B.Sc.(Agr.) from another University of Guelph degree must apply to transfer. Details can be found on the Admissions webpage. Please contact the B.Sc.(Agr.) Program Counsellor if you have questions.

Other Changes Requiring Program Counsellor Approval

If you are considering a second major, you will first need to obtain approval from your Program Counsellor. You will also need approval from your Program Counsellor if you are using a Calendar Year other than the one assigned to you in your first year at the University of Guelph.


If you are interested in a secondary area of study, you have the option of declaring a minor. Minors are not mandatory for the B.Sc.(Agr.) degree. Degree completion may require more than four years as most minors require 5.00 credits.

Note that a maximum of 50% of the credits needed for the minor may also be used as major requirements and restricted electives (this is referred to as double count). For example, if you need CHEM*1040 for your minor, it will be double-counted with your major (i.e. it will count as a requirement for your major, as well as your minor).

To declare a minor, follow the same process as listed above, indicating ‘Minor' rather than ‘Major' under "Specialization Type" on the Undergraduate Schedule of Studies Change Request Form. Consult with your Program Counsellor for more information.

See the current Undergraduate Calendar for the list of minors for the current calendar year. You may need to discuss the calendar year for minors with your Program Counsellor.


Students can also consider certificates as an additional qualification. They require 2.50 - 3.00 credits (depending on the certificate). Certificates are not connected to degree programs, so they will not appear on your parchment when you graduate. You would receive a separate certificate of completion for the certificate. Note the double count limit rule for courses which are required for both your major and the certificate. 

Certificates are run through the Office of Open Learning and Educational Support. Information about certificates is available in the Undergraduate Calendar under Special Study Opportunities.